Thread: GO check out my Mega BitBlt game Tutorial!

GO check out my Mega BitBlt game Tutorial!

Hi all, I'm finally finished my BitBlt game tutorial. Many people wanted a good one. This one is GOOD! It is easy to fallow, and it teaches you as you go along. It is a 17 easy lesson tutorial that will show you how to make a BitBlt game with( Collision detection, AI, Animation, Sound and more!) Plus I have included a Sample Game. The game is basicly the whole tutorila put together. So go download it NOW at

www.geocities.com/mman76dev

In return I want YOUR feedback

Thanks!!!

hm... let's see...

(aha, you stored it at: C:\Program Files\DevStudio\VB\BitBltTut ...)

*sigh* you can't programm at all can you?

So what does this timer do???

VB Code:
    1. Private Sub Timer1_Timer()
    2. If PicGo1.Visible = True Then PicGo1.SetFocus
    3. If PicGo2.Visible = True Then PicGo2.SetFocus
    4. If PicGo3.Visible = True Then PicGo3.SetFocus
    5. If GoPic4.Visible = True Then GoPic4.SetFocus
    6. If GoPic5.Visible = True Then GoPic5.SetFocus
    7. If GoPic6.Visible = True Then GoPic6.SetFocus
    8. If GoPic7.Visible = True Then GoPic7.SetFocus
    9. If GoPic8.Visible = True Then GoPic8.SetFocus
    10. If GoPic9.Visible = True Then GoPic9.SetFocus
    11. If GoPic10.Visible = True Then GoPic10.SetFocus
    12. If GoPic11.Visible = True Then GoPic11.SetFocus
    13. If GoPic12.Visible = True Then GoPic12.SetFocus
    14. If GoPic13.Visible = True Then GoPic13.SetFocus
    15. If GoPic14.Visible = True Then GoPic14.SetFocus
    16. If GoPic15.Visible = True Then GoPic15.SetFocus
    17. If GoPic16.Visible = True Then GoPic16.SetFocus
    18. If GoPic17.Visible = True Then GoPic17.SetFocus
    20. If S1 = True Then NextStep
    21. If S2 = True Then nextStep2
    22. If S3 = True Then NextStep3
    23. If S4 = True Then nextStep4
    24. If S5 = True Then NextStep5
    25. If S6 = True Then NextStep6
    26. If S7 = True Then NextStep7
    27. If S8 = True Then NextStep8
    28. If S9 = True Then NextStep9
    29. If S10 = True Then NextStep10
    30. If S11 = True Then NextStep11
    31. If S12 = True Then NextStep12
    32. If S13 = True Then NextStep13
    33. If S14 = True Then NextStep14
    34. If S15 = True Then NextStep15
    35. If S16 = True Then NextStep16
    36. If S17 = True Then NextStep17
    37. End Sub
    39. 'Note: This all changes the bottom "Next step" picture..
    40. 'no it's not only 1 picture, for each step there's the
    41. 'same image in another PictureBox

Not even for the tutorial program u use a loop?? *sigh* And why the hell do you use StretchBlt???

I can't believe it *sigh*

*runs far away*

Fox, if you don't like it then don't use it at all. But maybe some people will find use of it. Remember, I don' care how my code looks like, no one should even need to look at it. It's all in the tutorial.

Sure, but you teach people to use StretchBlt, and even the tutorial flickers hell...

The tutorial flickers? Not for me.

Mman, have you got a NT/2000/XP computer? The timer resolution is far better there than on a Win9x ( 1000 ticks/second vs. 15 ticks/second or something like that...)
    All the buzzt
    CornedBee

"Writing specifications is like writing a novel. Writing code is like writing poetry."
    - Anonymous, published by Raymond Chen

Don't PM me with your problems, I scan most of the forums daily. If you do PM me, I will not answer your question.

WIN

I have Win 98. But the tutorial is ment to give you an example. Once you finish it, you can make your game fit your needs!

Zaei
    Tutorials should always use the best coding sytle you can possibly squeze out of yourself, and teach even basic design. NextStep17? What the H*** is that? Timers? Called Timer1, no less. As Fox said, you dont know the first thing about game programming.

As to no one ever having to look at your code... Well, that just a load of crock. Most everyone will be peeking into your code to see how you accomplished something or other. Very likely, they will get lost, and never return. If they dont, youve scarred them, and put terrible game programming practices like Timers into thier heads. And of course, if all of that code is in the tutorial, just reading it is a terrible thing.

Z.

Yes, I don't know game prgramming, I can't make anything, my tutorial sucks. Right, then why did freevbcode.com rate my tutorial as *excellent code??? Know that, thank you. Next question.

Appologies for everything,

But I must admit that a much heavier burden is placed on programmers these days... there are "standards" and "styles", so to say "live the life" in some way.

I dont want to comment your code but it seems that "we, the programmers" dont care whether or not the code works, we just care that it is "slick" in its own way and that "you, the programmer" use your "best" example as in, the simplest way to get something done. Sure we can all go around the world just to get to the grocery store but wouldnt it be easier to just walk accross the street?

With all due respect, your code is "excellent" but it doesnt show how well you program, it doesnt look like an "example" of your "skillz". Maybe its because of time constraints... maybe.

Regards,
    MoMad
    :MoMad:
    Nice Sig!

http://go.to/momad/ Status: Not Ready

Addicted Member

Thanks

Yes, acutally it is because of lack of time. I only had 2 days to do it. Because, I now have to study for exams.

What the people here are getting at is expandable and reusable code. Your code will only work one way, changing something in the tiniest bit will cause it to fail, not to mention how hard it would be to track errors. Basically in tutorials good coding practice is a must. Eg, using Arrays.

Basically, instead of focusing on the code even you might want to focus on reusable ideas and things that make it easier, even theory. Theory is boring, people will get bored, but they will have a better understanding in the end.

Not trashing your tutorial, just these are things to consider when you next write one.
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

Zaei
    I will never visit freevbcode now.

You have to worry about Sytles, etc, these days, as MoMad said. Its all about maintainability, and reusability. Only about half your worth as a programmer is if your code works. The other half is your coding style. Games that use timers have horrible style. Not renaming your timers is worse. Lack of comments on almost every single line is fairly bad (i dont do this, myself).

Dont get me wrong here. Ive written some stuff you would cry to read. All i am saying is that, if you are going to write a tutorial on even beginning game programming, you should not be teaching timers, and other bad programming practices. If you look at other game programming books, that take you from nothing, to a game, you will see that they start off by teaching the technology (in your case BitBlt, or StretchBlt), then the basic structure of a game (the game loop, update, and draw functions). Then they will get more in-depth, and teach a bit about AI, a bit more about drawing, maybe some sound, each time showing either code, or pseudo code.

And, of course, any tutorial's source code should be easy to follow, even if you must sacrifice on execution speed, or the time you spend writing it. Comments are a must.

Z.

Ok

Ok thanks, I'll keep that in mind. (It was my first tutorial)

I now see why you hate timers so much. I'm remaking my 3D Game and I took out all the timers and replaced the movement parts with API calls. - It runs like 4x faster now

vshammas
    so does anyone have a good tutorial then? hehe...

Zaei
    You will be hard pressed to find a good game programming tutorial, and it is probably worse for VB programmers. You can find tutorials on some of the subsets of games, like the graphics, and the sound, but in the end, you will end up putting together things you learn from different sources.

yep..

and it's simply impossible to write a good tutorial in 2 days ... I'm still working on mine, well I really have no time and therefore I'm stuck at the moment, but the work I spent on it is already more than a week.

http://fox.acky.net/vb/english/coding/tutorial/

DaoK
    Fox tutorial are great but no tutorial for Direct X FOX do tutorial for DirectX!!!

Hehe, yeah do a DirectX one, see how far you get
    Nah, I'm sure you can do a good one!

Heh, anyway, I have a tutorial that deals solely on BitBlt and a form of Masking that allows you to "colour dip"... See it here:

http://vbden.tripod.com/articles/invmask.htm
    All contents of the above post that aren't somebody elses are mine, not the property of some media corporation.
    (Just a heads-up)

*Laughter*

Fox...
    Log( "You are death!" )
    Yes, I am death! Mwahahaha! Hehe, brush up on your english

Once again I'm jokin'!
    (Just a heads-up)

Wink Question

Alright HOT SHOTS, now that you'v insulted my tutorial , why don't you tell me what a 3d modeller should have. Not to advance though. What would be some helpfull features in a program that could only read and write .x files?

Thanks.

Zaei
    Customizable views, vertex placement, face creation, should start you off well.

Z.

Zaei
    Getting the 2D views going should be a good challenge.

Z.

???

2D Views? Do you mean a few different windows with different camera angles?

Zaei
    Most 3d modellers will have 3 2d views, and a 3d view area. The 2d areas will disregard a certain coordinate (x, y, or z), and use the remaining 2 coordinates to draw a 2d point.

Z.

Thumbs up Hehe

Now I feel that your next tutorial will be a good one, we sure pounded the heck outta ya! Hey dont worry about time, rome wasnt built in one day... and if you do worry about time, "theorize" what you cant "code"! <-- Hope this is u after u've finally completed ur tut and called all ur friends to celebrate only to find out it was 3AM and they were ALL SLEEPING!!!!! lol. Hey, its a lifestyle... dont give in too much. And dont pay too much attention, it will distract you.

MoMad
    :MoMad:
    Nice Sig!

http://go.to/momad/ Status: Not Ready

vshammas
    hey sastraxi, tried a bunch of stuff with bitblt but for some reason it copies only the shape of the original image, but not the colours (copies the shape and the background colour of the form). what's the problem? thanks!