Thread: Please help!!! 'Runtime error 35601 Element not found'

Question Please help!!! 'Runtime error 35601 Element not found'

Hello everybody,

Can anyone tell me what the error 'Runtime error 35601 Element not found' means? The code was running properly and suddenly i face this error and the application won't run.

I am not sure how to cut out of this.

Thanks.

wossname
    I think I had the same (or at least a similar) problem the other day.

Are you using TreeView or ListView controls, or anything with a collection as a member?

If you try to create a new item in a collection (a node in a treeview for example) and the program cannot find the parent item, it will usually throw a fit like this one.

Make sure you are creating items with the correct keys and that the parent or child items are correctly named.

Any help?

I am using TreeView control. I think i can understand what you mean.
    I'll give it a try first. While still at it, if the parent item is not there, does it not create a new item?

Thanks a ton for your help.

wossname
    No, afraid not, it expects you to do all the hard work!

It would be nice to have that feature, but to my knowledge it doesn't happen.

Your very welcome Good luck.

does case-sensitiveness play a role here? i mean if the parent is uppercase and then a new item is created wherein the path is given in lower case?

wossname
    It doesn't say in MSDN and I can't remember offhand, but I wouldn't be at all surprised it it is case sensitive.

I always use upper case for key strings as a habit so the problem rarely arises.

its case sensitive and it falls over for that. Thats the reason the application initially fell over.

Thanks a lot mate. Your help solved my problem.

wossname
    Woohoo! I solved one.

Re: Please help!!! 'Runtime error 35601 Element not found'

i have a problem with this too if anyone could help me by giing me their msn address so i can speak to them that would be great.
    thanks

I have a problem with this in online shop company that i working there. first of all i making a set up of Visual Basic Application, using Package and Deployment Wizard.
    After that i tested the set up and it worked fine from the machine having visual basic installed on it. But it gives the "Runtime error 35601 Element not found".
    When i try to test it from the machine not having Visual Basic on it. I did think of vb run time dll's missing and installed them seperately. still the problem persisted.

1. Welcome to the Forum
    2. As this is such an old thread, it might have been better for you to start a new one (especially as the situation you have does not appear to be anything like those 17 years ago).
    3. We could use a bit more information. What controls do you have in your application (Treeview, Listview)? How about a database? Are you including it when you use the PDW?